As a simple introduction to Freshman Labs, I’ll paste my About blurb into a post.
I look forward to meeting new people and discussing the issues of the day… and getting this long-running internal commentary out of my head and onto paper. Sometimes it’s like Statler & Waldorf in here. 🙂
From the About page:
Hi, I’m Mike Deutsch, a 15+ year veteran in the Tech and Education worlds and a product of (and contributor to) several generations of “oh, this is gonna change everything!” … Over time I’ve learned to take those with a grain of salt, but I remain curious and optimistic and eager to do my part for good technology & learning in the world.
I’m based in Montreal, Canada, and Freshman Labs is a place where I think about, play with, and provoke the fields of Education and Technology from interesting angles.
Among the topics I’m likely to talk about:
- Pedagogy – how people learn, and how best to teach in order to engender learning; especially of mathematical & technical subjects
- Schools – curricula, school models, professions, etc. I’ve worked in or alongside K-12 and Higher Ed for many years and think about these a lot.
- Analytics & Visualization – i.e., how to turn the inner workings (, data, records) of a system into something the eyes & brain can readily understand.
- Trends and waves that build, pass by, or crash, in Technology & Education.
- Usability – design and philosophy behind making tools (specifically technological ones) useful and dependable.
- Business concepts behind or related to Education and Tech.